Current Student Assistant Openings:
Student assistant postions are posted on the Student Employment site.
Current Professional Openings:
The Brown University Library seeks an innovative and user-oriented informational professional to join the Research and Outreach Services Department as the Biomedical and Life Sciences Librarian. As the Library’s primary liaison to the Biology Departments of the Division of Biology and Medicine and CLPS (Cognition, Linguistics, and Psychological Sciences), the Biomedical and Life Sciences Librarian plays a central role in developing library services and collections to support current and future research and instructional initiatives of these departments.
The Biomedical and Life Sciences Librarian supports the instructional and research needs of faculty, postdocs, graduate students and undergraduate concentrators. Along with the Scientific Data Specialist s/he is key to defining and expanding the library’s role in supporting biomedical research data management. S/he will work closely with the Health Sciences Librarian (of the Warren S. Alpert School of Medicine and the School of Public Health), the Scientific Data Management Specialist, the Physical Sciences Librarian and other direct reports to the AUL for Research and Outreach.
Together with other Research and Outreach Services Librarians, the Center for Digital Scholarship and other campus partners, the Biomedical and Life Sciences Librarian will provide subject-based reference services, and teach effective information management techniques for scientific research to students and researchers. The successful candidate will maintain a strong awareness of issues related to scholarly communications including copyright, open access, repositories, and licensing of online resources.
To fulfill these responsibilities successfully, the Biomedical and Life Sciences Librarian will have a strong academic background in biology, psychology or other life sciences field and have significant hands-on experience with relevant technologies and bibliographic tools.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution or an advanced degree in a life sciences field.
- At least 3 years work experience in life sciences librarianship, or other relevant field.
- Knowledge of the scholarly communications process (publishing, copyright, repositories), especially the NIH Public Access Policy requirements and processes.
- Knowledge and experience with appropriate data services (PubMed/NCBI, Web of Science, etc.), semantic web tools (e.g. Quertle, VIVO) and citation management software (e.g. RefWorks, EndNote, Zotero, Mendeley, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability with instruction and presentation skills.
- Ability to acquire new technological skills & resolve problems in a resourceful and timely manner.
- Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; strong analytical and organizational skills; ability to manage time and multiple projects in a complex, changing environment with a positive, flexible, creative and innovative attitude.
To apply for this position (JOB #B01539), please visit Brown’s Online Employment website (https://careers.brown.edu), complete an application online, attach documents, and submit for immediate consideration. Documents should include cover letter, resume, and the names and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Brown University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.