Current Student Assistant Openings:
Student assistant postions are posted on the Student Employment site.
Current Professional Openings:
» Library Circulation Manager | » Library Web Manager | » Librarian for American and British Literary and Popular Culture Collections | » Metadata Management Librarian
Brown University Library seeks enthusiastic, experienced, and customer-focused candidates for the role of Circulation Manager at Brown’s John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library. Rockefeller Library is the main library on Brown’s campus for humanities and social sciences and is used by students and faculty across many disciplines. The Circulation Manager plans and provides operational management for all activities and services provided at the Rockefeller Library circulation desk, including circulation, course reserves, document delivery and resource sharing. The Rockefeller circulation desk also serves as an information service point for users on-site and remotely. This position ensures the circulation desk is fully functional for all hours the library is open, including nights and weekends and during inclement weather.
Working closely with library colleagues, the Circulation Manager develops procedures and policies that align the department’s services with the Library’s goals. S/he uses critical thinking and analytical skills to gather and interpret data and track trends for optimum service provision. S/he plans and develops clear guidelines for implementing new services. This position also serves as liaison to other departments within and beyond the Library to provide information on available services and to ensure consistent service library-wide.
The Circulation Manager supervises approximately 10 bargaining unit staff and several student workers. S/he is responsible for managing staff performance, including hiring, scheduling, evaluating, and training. The successful candidate will demonstrate that s/he can use tact and sound judgment as the position works directly with faculty, students and university staff in a highly-visible public service setting. Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Significant (minimum of 7 years) supervisory experience, preferably in an academic library with bargaining unit staff
- Significant (minimum of 7 years) customer service experience, preferably in an academic library with bargaining unit staff
- Outstanding human relations and communication skills
- Ability to resolve patron concerns and difficulties with tact, courtesy, and good judgment
- Mathematical skills applicable to budget, payroll, and statistics
- Experience using an integrated library system
- Experience using standard office productivity software (e.g., Word, Excel)
- Ability to produce statistical and analytical reports using appropriate tools
- Experience with academic library public services for the humanities and social sciences
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff, clientele, and partners
To Apply: please visit Brown University’s career opportunities website at: https://careers.brown.edu and reference Job No. 113332. Complete an application online, attach documents, and submit for immediate consideration. Documents should include cover letter, resume, and the names and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.