Shawomet Baptist Church records


The Shawomet Baptist Church was officially organized in 1842 as the Old Warwick Baptist Church. The original congregation of "Six Principle" Baptists combined resources with Regular (Calvinist) Baptists, whose numbers were growing as a result of the Second Great Awakening, to occupy a small meetinghouse on the Warwick Neck peninsula in Rhode Island. In 1851 their name was officially changed to Shawomet Baptist Church. The word Shawomet is the Narragansett Indian name for Warwick Neck. The church closed in 2011. The records include founding documents, publications, meeting minutes, correspondence, financial records, membership lists, club and activity records and photographic materials documenting the 170-year history of the congregation. The bulk of the material covers the period from 1945 through 1999.

Format(s): Manuscripts, Graphics, Letters, Scrapbooks
Library: John Hay
NOTE: This collection is housed off-site. Prior notice is needed for retrieval
Contact(s): Holly_Snyder@brown.edu

Access to the collection:

Online Catalog (JOSIAH):
General description of the collection available on JOSIAH
Josiah

Other Online Access:
RIAMCO: Rhode Island Archival and Manuscript Collections Online

Related Collections:
Baptist Collection

[Print this page] [close window]