|European and American Art Collected by
General Rush Christopher Hawkins
for the Annmary Brown Memorial
Early Years of the Memorial:
This section of the album shows various rooms at the Memorial as they appeared in 1937, 1942, 1948, and 1953 -- with notes identifying a pedestal tip-stand sent to the Memorial by General Hawkins, and the furniture and rugs loaned to the Memorial by Mrs. John Nicholas Brown and M. B. Stillwell in 1952 and 1953.
13. An early stage in the development of the large room in the
Lower Study, showing the writing table with cut-out ends which
was built for M. B. Stillwell about 1936 to aid in the compiling
of the second Incunabula census. The photograph also shows the
panel midway between the curved-top doors. This panel was quickly
replaced by a three-sided niche filled with philodendron -- thus
providing an indoor garden, as a setting for the baby figure of
Annmary Brown I. The philodendron plants were contributed by
Jesse H. Metcalf. They thrived for years on the light shed by
electric light bulbs with reflectors, which were concealed around
the sides of the niche. In 1952, when the new heating apparatus
was installed in the adjoining room, into which the niche had
projected, the niche was destroyed; the opening was bricked over,
and the indoor garden became a thing of the past. The figure at
the right is the protrait bust of Annmary Brown's mother, the
second wife of the Hon. Nicholas Brown, III. That at the left
is believed to be of his first wire. The leather-backed chairs
were sent to the Memorial by General Hawkins.
The "Chinese Alcove", the room directly under the main
entrance hall, as it appeared from 1942 to 1953. Tea was often
served here to visiting bibliophiles. The Franklin stove was connected
with the chimney by a pipe which passed back of the screen and
through the adjoining room, close to the ceiling. When the new
heating system was installed in 1952, this pipe was removed. The
furnishings, all of which were provided by the Librarian, were
withdrawn when the Renaissance pieces from the Lownes house were
sent to the Memorial in the summer of 1953.
No. 15. The Memorial's galleries as they appeared in 1948, at the time when the building and its collections -- together with its Librarian -- were deeded by its former Trustees to Brown University. (The pedestal tip-stand in the photograph on the left was sent to the Memorial by General Hawkins.)
On the right, the Founder's Room as it appeared from 1907 to 1949, during which time specimens of early printing were displayed open, on all the shelves all around the room. It was this display, as described by Mr. Pollard of the British Museum, which made it one of the famous bookrooms of the world. The figures are Mr. Howard Curtis, the Director of Public Relations at Brown University, and his assistant, Mrs. Kester, talking with the Librarian (M.B. Stillwell).
No. 16. A corner of the southwest room in the Lower Study, when it was used as the reference room, 1942-1952. Except for the paintings and a few pieces of bric-a-brac, the furnishings were provided by the Librarian.
No. 16. The center room in the Lower Study as it was set up for tea one May afternoon in 1953, while the "Coronations" prints loaned by Mrs. John Nicholas Brown were still on view. [Photograph is out of focus]
17. The Ante-room at the left of the main entrance, as
rearranged in 1953 to show the Duncan Phyffe sofa and Sheraton
sideboard, loaned by Mrs. John Nicholas Brown, which normally
are opposite one another. Originally this was called the
Curator's Room, and it contained General Hawkins'
library-table and chairs. When the Lower Study was
strated in 1934, this became known as the Upper Study, and was
occasionally used as such. But, with the development of
the Lower Study, this gradually became used as a reception and
catalogue room. (The catalogue case, usually centered in
front of the bookcase, was moved at the time of the taking of
this photograph, in order that the sofa might be included for
purposes of identification.) The statues on the bookcase
are girlhood portraits of Annmary (Brown) Hawkins and Carrie
Mathilde (Brown) Bajnotti. The Etruscan vases and carved
box on the sideboard are Brown-Hawkins pieces. The rugs
are from among those loaned by M. B. Stillwell. The
books along the wall are old bibliographies, which were sent
to the Memorial by General Hawkins. Although he had
noted in his modern bibliographies, that they were to come to
the Memorial upon his death, he neglected to mention this
bequest in his will. Consequently, these inserted notes
-- and similar tags which he had put on rugs -- were not
honored when his estate was settled. Without these
up-to-date bibliographies, the work of the memorial started
under a serious handicap.
18. The center gallery, 1953, showing the Chippendale
bench and two of the Hepplewhite chairs loaned by Mrs. John
No. 19. The southern side of the Lower Study, as it appeared in December 1953 -- showing the console table loaned by Mrs. John Nicholas Brown; the oriental rugs and the writing table with cut-out ends belonging to M. B. Stillwell; and the armchairs and revolving bookcase assigned to the Memorial by Brown University's Buildings and Grounds Department in 1049-1950.
No. 20. A center view of the Lower Study, 1953 -- showing three of the Hepplewhite chairs loaned by Mrs. John Nicholas Brown; the 18th century mirror inherited by Annmary (Brown) Hawkins; and the mahogany davenport, small drop-leaf table, Persian rug (Tabriz, 8x12) and other rugs loaned by M. B. Stillwell.
No. 21. The north side of the Lower Study as it appeared in December 1953 -- showing paintings from the Memorial's collection; the Chippendale sideboard and small, embroidered firescreen inherited by Annmary (Brown) Hawkins; five of the seven Hepplewhite chairs loaned by Mrs. John Nicholas Brown; a long exhibition table doing duty as a workbench for catalogues and books; and the davenport, small drop-leaf table, and rugs belonging to M. B. Stillwell.
No. 22. Three models on view in the center and far Galleries during the Leonardo da Vinci show, before and during Commencement, 1953 -- showing respectively, a model of Leonardo's design for a machine-gun, a device proving the variant speeds of different gears, and a plaster model of a canal with locks.
The Annmary Brown Memorial for the Club of Odd Volumes, 1908.