Journal Cost Solutions and EnhancementsThe untenable journal inflation situation is described on the Yale University site: Journal Cost Update web page.
There are a number of scenarios being developed that take advantage of the enhanced capabilities of electronic journals:
- integrated media materials (i.e. simulations, sound bytes),
- faster turnaround time,
- less expensive distribution costs,
- commenting capabilities,
- full text searchability,
- related item links (i.e. SFX and citation tracking)
Concept Models and Scenarios
- Competition in scholarly publishing? -- Wyly economic study
- ARL special issue on electronic journals
- Mathematical Articles And Bottled Water - mathematician's view of information distribution reform
- SPARC Europe: Prosser proposal -- shared author charges and dwindling subscriptions
- Open Access approach -- ARL Framing the Issue intro
- Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) statement on Open Access
- The Facts about Open Access -- A 2005 ALPSP-sponsored report studying "the financial and non-financial effects of alternative business models for scholarly journals."
- Stanford Library Scholarly Communication and Publishing Issues
- Using the OAI-PMH differently - Herbert Van De Sompel, Jeffrey A. Young, Thomas B. Hickey; D-Lib magazine (2003) (July/August) - powerful metadata harvesting
- Periodicals Price Survey 2008: Embracing Openness by Lee Van Orsdel
- Open Access: Doing the numbers Richard Poynder's cogent overview of where we are with regard to knowing the true costs of scholarly publishing.
Action Items: Theoretical
- Free at Last: The Future of Peer-Reviewed Journals D-Lib Magazine Volume 5 Number 12 (December 1999) ISSN 1082-9873
- FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: THE IMPACT OF FREE ACCESS ON BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE 6-7 July 2000, New York Academy of Medicine (a conference to discuss issues related to BioMed Central)
- Principles for Emerging Systems of Scholarly Publishing - Tempe, Arizona, 2-4 March 2000
- Seeking a Radical Change in the Role of Publishing - (Chronicle of Higher Education) review of joint university approach document
- CREATE CHANGE web resource - SPARC, ARL, and ACRL author guidance
- Budapest Open Access Initiative - a statement of principle, a statement of strategy, and a statement of commitment to accelerate progress in the international effort to make research articles in all academic fields freely available on the internet.
- International Scholarly Communications Alliance (ISCA) - an initiative of research library associations in Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan, Hong Kong SAR, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States; an action-oriented global network that will collaborate with scholars and publishers to establish equitable access to scholarly and research publications.
- Johns Hopkins Scholarly Communications Group call for action
- An Open Letter to All University Presidents and Provosts Concerning Increasingly Expensive Journals - by Theodore Bergstrom and R. Preston McAfee
Action Items: Actual
- Harvard To Collect, Disseminate Scholarly Articles For Faculty-- Harvard faculty vote to make their scholarly articles available through a Harvard repository.
- The Open Archives initiative -- interoperability among author self-archiving solutions -- (Santa Fe Convention)
- publiclibraryofscience.org - free access to published biological and medical literature initiative
- Collection Management Initiative University of California selected print journals in UC libraries for which electronic access is available through the California Digital Library will be temporarily removed from the shelf to test user behaviors and preferences.
- Faculty of 1000 - online research tool that highlights the most interesting papers in biology, based on the recommendations of over 1000 leading scientists.
- BioMed Central news - charging authors per article (hoping libraries will pay; why not Federal payment???)-- actual BioMed Central -- a full text initiative in the bio-med area (peer review and non-peer reviewed material)
- arXiv -- Ginsparg (Los Alamos) High Energy Physics (+) preprint approach
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Michael L Rosenzweig, Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, "Reclaiming What We Own: Expanding Competition in Scholarly Publishing" (migration of the entire editorial board to a less expensive publisher) Machine Learning - all 40 people resigned from the Editorial Board of the Machine Learning Journal
- Journal of Logic Programming: the entire editorial board resigned in frustration at their inability to convince a publisher to put a reasonable price on their journal, and they instead are creating a new journal Theory and Practice of Logic Programming.
- Journal of Algorithms: the resignation of the JoA editorial board and the formation of ACM Transactions on Algorithms (TALG).
- Electronic Society for Social Scientists: Manfredi La Manna's economist ejournals at half price
- PERI -- Programme for the Enhancement of Research Information (African cooperative)
- ICAAP -- International Consortium for Alternative Academic Publication
- Roquade -- Three Dutch university libraries have instigated the Roquade project: Utrecht University Library, Delft University of Technology Library and the Netherlands Institute for Scientific Information Services.
- BioLine -- developing countries' journal publication project
- Health InterNetwork Access to Research Initiative (HINARI) - provides free or nearly free access to the major journals in biomedical and related social sciences, to public institutions in developing countries.
- ASCUS -- From the Communication Institute for Online Scholarship (CIOS), a not-for-profit, state-of-the-art system for archiving and indexing Communication scholarship provisionally named ASCUS (Academic Serials in Communication Unified System).
- university Superarchives approach -- freely available repositories for locally created research material
- Directory of Open Access Journals -- freely available peer reviewed journals
- OAI testbeds: UIUC Open Archives Initiative Information in Engineering, Computer Science, and Physics, myOAI, SAIL-eprints
- Texas teaching tools consortia -- Four Texas university systems and Rice University will collaborate on a digital repository whose goal is to offer online resources, such as teaching aids, dissertations, and practical information, although not books.
- The Scholar's Copyright Addendum Engine helps authors generate a PDF form that can be attached to a journal publisher's copyright agreement to ensure that the author retains certain rights.
- The entire editorial board of the Springer journal K-theory resigned in frustration at their inability to convince a publisher to put a reasonable price on their journal, and they instead are creating a new journal by Cambridge University Press.
Selected example alternative dissemination products:
- lifestreams - time ordered personal information management system (NOTE:using ResearchIndex tool for related links)
- Perspectives In Electronic Publishing - attempt at commenting and linkages for library literature
- Project Euclid -- preprints, pub, peer review software overlay for independent journals in math and stats
- PubMed Central -- Electronic Publishing in the Life Sciences
- BioMed Central -- a full text initiative in the bio-med area (peer review and non-peer reviewed material)
- DOE Preprint Network -- requires federated search for integration with peer reviewed material
- ARC - a centralized approach to search interdisciplinary Eprint Archives
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations - electronic Ph.D. thesis repository
- DSpace - MIT intellectual capital server (multi-media digital repository)
- eScholarship -- California Digital Library repositiory
Selected example alternative journal products:
- Physical Review Special Topics - Accelerators and Beams
- New Journal of Physics - page charges
- ARLO, Acoustics Research Letters Online - page charges
- MRS Internet Journal of Nitride Semiconductor Research - page charges and subsidies
- Journal of High Energy Physics - subsidized/free online, paper requires a subscription
- Advances in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics - an overlay on part of the well known LANL arXiv.org archives. (selected peer reviewed articles from preprint server)
- Documenta Mathematica - article discussing finances