Acts and Resolves
Local Acts, Resolutions, Joint Resolutions and Executive Appointments are given annually (Also see Public Laws).
How to Understand the Document
1) The legislation number is given at top. 2) Acts and Resolutions are broken down into sections.
About This Resource
- Start your search online. You can search year back to 1996.
- There are a number of different kinds of legislation:
- Local Acts are laws of only a local or private nature. They are numbered LA, number of the act, session year, chamber (S=Senate, H=House), bill number. For example, LA 15, 2000-S 2366 "Authorizing the Audubon Society of Rhode Island to Increase its Holdings to an Amount Not Exceeding Fifty Million Dollars (,000,000)" is a 15th local act from the session in 2000, which is the acceptance of the Senate bill 2366.
- Resolutions express the will of the legislature, and are not law. They are numbered R, number of the act, session year, chamber (S=Senate, H=House), bill number. For example, R 30, 2000-H 6982 "Designating May 15th of Each Year As 'Peace Officers' Memorial Day" is the 30th resolution from the session in 2000.
- Joint Resolutions are resolutions issued by both chambers of the State Assembly. They are numbered as resolutions.
Access to Information
- Acts and Resolves Rhode Island General Assembly: Public Laws, Acts and Resolves If you scroll down the page, on the left will be links to Public Laws, Acts and Resolves. Full-text for acts and resolves are given from 2002 session.
- Acts and resolves, passed by the General Assembly goes from 1678-1817 at the Hay and 1817 onward at the Rockefeller.