State of Rhode Island General Laws
All laws that are presently in effect are listed by subject. In addition, there are notes and analyses of each law.
How to Understand the Document
In LexisNexis, 1) the number of the law is given at the top. 2) All the different sections are numbered as you go along.
About This Resource
- The easiest way is to search the online resources. LexisNexis allows keyword searching.
- The numbering system is usually § Title, Chapter, Section. For example, § 17-1-2 is Title 17 (Elections), Chapter 1 (General Provisions), Section 2 (Definitions), which deals with the definitions of elected officials. If multiple sections are cited, the double §§ signs are used, e.g. §§ 7-1-1 - 7-1-26.
Access to Information
- State Codes: Rhode Island (LexisNexis) has general searching for the General Laws
- State of Rhode Island General Laws contains full-text copies of all RI laws categorized by subject.
- General Laws of Rhode Island contains full-text copies of all RI laws categorized by subject. In addition, there are notes and analyses of each law.