Resolution & Decision
The major document type for U.N. organs is the Resolution, which describes the situation and the actions that will be taken by the U.N., for example to send peacekeepers or call on nations to do a certain act. It is the will of the organization. A Decision, on the other hand, is the will of the organization about an internal affair affecting the U.N. only, such as elections or appointments.
How to Understand the Document
Resolutions have a certain structure. They have a Preamble and Operative Part:
About This Resource
- Using UNBISNET, you can limit your searches to resolutions. In the UN Doc Symbol field use:
- a/res for General Assembly resolutions
- s/res for Security Council resolutions
- e/res for Economic and Social Council resolutions
Access to Information
- United Nations Bibliographic Information System (UNBISNET) has full-text of documents back to 1946.
- AccessUN, an index of resolutions back to 1944 and full-text back to 1980. (See AccessUN instructions for more search information and Document Type for more information about U.N. documents).