United Nations Documentation: Reseach Guide is the U.N.Library's official research guide on human rights. Use this guide for general ideas about what information is out there on this subject.
UNBISnet is the United Nations Library catalog. It has records back to 1979 and full-text to 1992.
- Rights subject search provides dozens of subheadings.
DOCUMENTS OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (SOCIAL, HUMANITARIAN & CULTURAL) AND THE SIXTH COMMITTEE (LEGAL)
About This Resource
- UN Doc. Symbol for this committee is A/C.3 (Social, Humanitarian & Cultural) and A/C.6 (Legal). When searching online, you can limit your searches to the documents from this committee by putting the Doc Symbol in quotes for the committee in the UN Doc. Symbol field, while you do a subject or word search.
Access to Information
- UNBISnet has records back to 1979 and full-text to 1992.
- AccessUN 1944-present. It provides access to current and retrospective United Nations documents and publications. It does not offer everything in full-text. Please read these quick instructions to help you find what you want.
When doing a search, select "in subjects" for your method and try these subject headings to narrow your search to this topic:
Human Rights Activists
Human Rights Advancement
Human Rights Development
Human Rights Education
Human Rights in Armed Conflicts
Human Rights Violations
- Official Records of the General Assembly from 1946-1990. In the stacks you will see special volumes labeled Official Records Committees with the number of the committee.
- Josiah Look for U.N. titles in Brown's catalog.
The Dag Hammerskjod Library Marks Human Rights Day (December 10) has links to other U.N. agencies that deal with human rights.
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights is "mandated to promote and protect the enjoyment and full realization, by all people, of all rights established in the Charter of the United Nations." This site has reports on many different human rights issues and international laws.
- Human Rights Issues contains links to different human rights issues within this office. Issues range from bioethics to women.
- Human Rights Treaties Bodies are the committees that are in charge of implementing the human rights treaties.
Session Documentation Listed By Agenda Items is the agenda of what is debated in the current session of the General Assembly.
United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) specializes on women's rights issues.
United Nations Documentation: Research Guide for Human Rights gives information about many human rights committees and their work.