International Security & Peacekeeping
United Nations Documentation: Reseach Guide is the U.N.Library's official research guide on peacekeeping. Use this guide for general ideas about what information is out there on this subject.
UNBISnet is the United Nations Library catalog. It has records back to 1979 and full-text to 1992.
- International Security subject search provides dozens of subheadings.
- Peacekeeping subject search provides dozens of subheadings.
- Security Council resolutions: Search the catalog using the U.N. Doc Symbol for Security Council resolutions, S/RES
DOCUMENTS OF THE FIRST COMMITTEE OF THE GENERAL (DISARMAMENT & INTERNATIONAL SECURITY)
About This Resource
- UN Doc. Symbol for this committee is A/C.1 (Disarmament & International Security). When searching online, you can limit your searches to the documents from this committee by putting the Doc Symbol in quotes for the committee in the UN Doc. Symbol field, while you do a subject or word search.
Access to Information
- UNBISnet has records back to 1979 and full-text to 1992.
- AccessUN 1944-present. It provides access to current and retrospective United Nations documents and publications. It does not offer everything in full-text. Please read these quick instructions to help you find what you want. When doing a search, select "in subjects" for your method and use a subject heading to narrow your search to this topic. There are too many headings to list here. Click on the Help button at the top of the AccessUN page and then select AccessUN Subject Terms.
- Official Records of the General Assembly from 1946-1990. In the stacks you will see special volumes labeled Official Records Committees with the number of the committee.
- Josiah Look for U.N. titles in Brown's catalog.
Department of Political Affairs advises the Secretary-General in political affairs. It monitors activities such as terrorism, peacekeeping, conflict resolution, etc.
First Committee of the General Assembly: Disarmament & International Security contains documents produced by this U.N. organ on this issue.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) protects the world from ionizing radiation caused by accidents or hostile activities.
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) is the organisation to ensure that the
Chemical Weapons Convention is operational by checking to see if weapons have been destroyed and providing protection.
Session Documentation Listed By Agenda Items is the agenda of what is debated in the current session of the General Assembly.
U.N. Department for Disarmament Affairs has information on disarmament from weapons of mass distruction to gender and disarmament.
U.N. Institute for Disarmament Research organizes research and conferences to encourage security and development.
U.N. Peacekeeping contains a history of their operations and information on the present missions.
U.N. Security Council is the U.N. organization that is in charge of maintaining the peace.