Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
Presidential proclamations, executive orders, and agency regulations. Regulations expand on laws to give them details in their execution. These codes are constantly updated to reflect the changes in the laws and regulations. Final versions are printed in CFR, but they first go through a process of proposals and deliberations. The daily announcements of proposals and meetings for input are in the Federal Register (See Also Federal Register).
How to Understand the Document
Regulation 49 CFR 1540.5 which deal with Aiport Security:
About This Resource
- In LexisNexis: regulations are cited by title, CFR section number and sub-section : 47 CFR 73.1940.
- In the paper copy, if you get a citation like 47 CFR 73.1940, you would have to look under volume 47 (telecommunications), § 73 (The § stands for section) radio broadcast services, .1940 (sub-section for Legally qualified candidates for public office).
Access to Information
- LexisNexis: Regulations By selectiong Code of Federal Regulations, you can search back to 1981.
- Code of Federal Regulations has U.S. federal codes for federal agencies back to the 1990s.
- Code of Federal Regulations. The most recent edition is in Reference. Also, explore the microfiche and material in the Annex for historical research.