Proposal Writing Resources
- Foundation Center: Proposal Budgeting Basics
A free online tutorial that describes the basics of developing a project budget.
- Foundation Center: Proposal Writing Short Course
A free online tutorial that describes how to prepare a funding proposal, including the planning, research, and cultivation of foundation and corporate donors.
- Grant Writing for Engineers
Sponsored by the ASME: American Society of Mechanical Engineers, this module details the information required for a grant proposal, including statement of need, project description, evaluation plan, budget, & conclusion.
- Grants.gov: Application Resources
Available resources include an FAQ, user guides, registration checklists, and tutorials.
- Guide for Writing a Funding Proposal
Written by S. Joseph Levine of Michigan State University. Provides writing tips and examples of grant proposal components as well as links to additional proposal writing sites.
- How to Develop and Write a Grant Proposal
Created by the Congressional Research Service, this report is intended for Members and staff assisting grantseekers in districts and states and covers writing proposals for both government and private foundations grants.
- Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty
Written by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the chapter on Getting Funded includes information on understanding the NIH funding process and developing a strong application.
- National Institutes of Health: All About Grants Tutorials
All About Grants helps investigators plan and write grant applications and manage their awards. See also Grant Writing Tips for individual institute guides.
- National Science Foundation: Grant Proposal Guide
Includes detailed pre-submission information, proposal preparation instructions, the processes for proposal review by NSF, descriptions of non-award decisions and transactions, and proposal renewal processes.
- Proposal Writing Websites
Maintained by the University of Pittsburgh Office of Research, this site provides links to proposal writing manuals/guides, professional proposal writers/consultants, proposal writing workshops/courses, as well as proposal writing bibliographies and resources.
- Applying for Research Funding: Getting Started and Getting Funded
» HG177 .R53 1995
- Demystifying Grant Seeking: What You Really Need to Do to Get Grants
» HG177 .B767 2001
- The Grant Application Writer's Workbook: National Institutes of Health
» Q180.55.P7 R87 2010
- Guide to Effective Grant Writing: How to Write a Successful NIH Grant Application
Note: Also available as ebook
» RA11.D6 Y36 2005
- How to Write a Successful Research Grant Application: A Guide for Social and Behavioral Scientists
» HG177 .H683 1995
- Proposals that Work: A Guide for Planning Dissertations and Grant Proposals
» Q180.55.P7 L63 2000
- Research Proposals: A Guide to Success
» R853.P75 O35 2002
- Writing the NIH Grant Proposal: A Step-by-Step Guide
» 1-SIZE RA11.D6 G47 2006
- Writing Successful Science Proposals
» Q180.55.P7 F75 2009