The Congdon Street Baptist Church descended from the African Union Meeting House, which was located at the corner of Meeting and Congdon Streets on land donated by Moses Brown. Plans for the building, both a house of worship and schoolhouse, were developed during a meeting in the vestry of the First Baptist Church. Construction began in 1819 and classes commenced in 1820. The building was completed and dedicated in 1821.
Click here to listen to a description of the dedication.
By 1840, the congregation had formed into various denominations AME, AME Zion, Free Will Baptist, Calvinist, and Missionary Baptist that established their own churches. The remaining group formed the Meeting Street Baptist Church
In 1869, a George Hale, a neighbor with property bordering the church, requested that the church exchange lots with him. Free of debt, the church originally refused the offer. Later that year, the building mysteriously burned to the ground. Eventually the church agreed to the land exchange and began building a new edifice. Completed in 1875, it was renamed the Congdon Street Baptist Church. It remains an active church.