Old Brick School House
In the early nineteenth century, many African Americans were educated in the Old Brick School House. In the 1820s, a Quaker ran a private school for African American children. In 1828, the town of Providence established a public school system and created a separate school for African Americans until the state legislature outlawed racially segregated schools in 1866. The public segregated school was variously called the Meeting Street School, the African school, and the colored school.