Skip over navigation

Around Brown University

Founded in 1764 as the College of Rhode Island in Warren, Rhode Island, it moved in 1770 to its present location on College Hill, overlooking the city of Providence. In 1804, in recognition of a gift from Nicholas Brown, the College of Rhode Island was renamed Brown University.

Brown University is the third-oldest institution of higher education in New England and the seventh-oldest in the United States. It is a member of the Ivy League and one of the nine colonial colleges chartered in the American Colonies before the American Revolution. It was the first college in the nation to accept students of all religious affiliations.

There are four primary places of interest to SALALM members on campus:

  • The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS)
    CLACS, housed in the Watson Institute for International Relations, is an inter-disciplinary center for research and teaching on Latin America and the Caribbean dating back to 1984. CLAS supports an undergraduate concentration and promotes research, teaching, and community outreach for public education. In 2006, Brown University received a Title VI government grant from the Department of Education and became one of 18 National Resource Centers for Latin American Studies.
  • Brown University Library
    The University Library, dated 1767, contains more than six million items in its system and oversees six distinct units — the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library (social sciences and humanities), the Sciences Library, the John Hay Library (special collections, rare books, manuscripts, and the University Archives), the Virginia Baldwin Orwig Music Library, the Art Slide Library and the Library Collections Annex.
    The Special Collections of the Brown University Library contain well over half the library's total resources. The Iberian and Latin American special collections, housed in the John Hay Library, include the Col. George Earl Church Collection, the Paul Dupee Mexican History Collection, the Schirmer Collection on Anti-Imperialism, the Thomas E. Skidmore Collection, and the José Rodrigues Miguéis Archive.
    For a history of the Brown University Library click here.
  • John Carter Brown Library (JCB)
    The JCB is an independently administered and funded center for advanced research in history and the humanities, founded in 1846 and located at Brown University since 1901. Housed within the Library’s walls is an internationally renowned, constantly growing collection of primary historical sources pertaining to the Americas, both North and South, before ca. 1825.
  • Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology Gallery at Manning Hall
    A new satellite gallery on the Brown University campus.