The Brown University Library provides laptop computers for in-library use to Brown students, faculty and staff. Laptops may be borrowed and used within the loaning library according to the guidelines outlined below. At present, we have circulating laptops available in the Rockefeller Library only. The laptop computers are configured to connect to the campus network through Brown's wireless network. See laptop availability at http://josiah.brown.edu/search?/rlaptop+computer
Eligibility: Current Brown students, faculty and staff
Borrowing Procedures: Check out for use within the library at the Gateway Circulation Desk, Rockefeller Lobby
Loan Period: Three hour loan on a first come, first served basis
Renewals: One renewal possible
Overdue Fines: $10.00 per hour
Charges for lost, stolen and damaged laptops: Replacement cost of the computer plus a processing fee ($1,500.00) or cost of repair.
Laptop Borrower Responsibilities:
- Complete an Equipment Agreement Form in which they acknowledge
responsibility for the laptop computer and peripherals charged out to them.
- Provide a valid Brown ID.
- Do not remove the laptop from the Library. Laptops are for in-Library use only.
Note: All laptops must be returned no later than 15 minutes before closing
- Laptop borrowers are responsible for:
Full replacement cost if the laptop computer or any peripherals charged out to them is lost, or
Full repair cost charged to the Library's selected repair service if the computer or any peripherals are damaged.
- Laptop borrowers should never leave the laptop computer unattended while it is
checked out to them!
- All files should be stored on a floppy diskette or other medium prior to the
return of the computer to the library. The library assumes no responsibility
for files stored on the hard disk or the recovery of files accidentally left
in the hard disk after the computer has been returned.
- Laptop computers MUST be used within the Rockefeller Library.
- If a computer is not returned, replacement charges will be assessed.
- Only one laptop will be checked out per person.